I’ve built a career working in high-growth tech startups, series A to C (ish) and headcounts 30-300 (ish) - from GoCardless to Monzo, then Snyk and now Permutive. My focus is on developing human-first structures & processes to make work an enjoyable place to be, and as fulfilling as possible - and growing teams quickly, healthily and deliberately!
I have a theory that most people quit their jobs either because of HR failings, or for reasons that modern people practices could mitigate (e.g. having an ill-equipped or unqualified manager). My personal mission is to take a human-centric approach to people practices, and build cultures where people can do their best work and grow.
I started writing in summer 2019 when I deliberately gave myself a month out between jobs, and then found myself looking for productive and fun things to do with that time. Which is why this blog exists, and why it’s built with jekyll despite my better judgement.
My big passions are culture, diversity & inclusion, hiring well, feedback, and finding fun.
talks & panels
I really enjoy public speaking, both giving talks and taking part in panels or Q&As. I have been described as “lively” and “quite direct”, both as positives!
- The Importance of Candidate Experience Energon Events
- I’m a Manager, now what? Circle Community (video)
- Culture Conscious Hiring People Geek breakfast
- Scaling Hiring: how to 3x your headcount in a year and survive ScaleUP Academy
- Brand Health Report Hired (video)
- Diversity & Inclusion Tech XLR8
- International Women’s Day SheCanCode
- Beyond the Data: gender pay narratives and actions to promote diversity Simmons & Simmons
- Women <3 tech meet up: Tech Innovation in Finance InnovateHer
- What are you hiring for? General Assembly / Premier Talks
- ThinkDifferent London Tech Week (video)
- Hiring for Happiness: How to Hire Diverse Candidates While Maintaining A Cultural Fit Jobbio Higher London
- When should you join a startup? Alternative Careers Festival
- Diversity & Inclusion @ Monzo (Q&A) (video)